Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Good Find

There are certain times in life when you know you've found something special. They could be huge (like meeting and marrying my lovely wife or being blessed with each of our four kids), or they could be small and relatively insignificant...the common theme is that they contribute value to your life in some way. Today's find was...a restaurant.

I visited, for the first time, a place in Kent well-known to locals, called Mike's Place. You can't miss it on the way into Kent, because sitting outside the place is a full-sized X-Wing fighter, just like you'd expect to see flying out of the movies. The fantastic doesn't stop when you walk in the door; there are various themed rooms to eat in, many of which are not rooms at all...there is a full-sized 50's era bus with tables and large booths in it, a boat to eat in, a tequila bar, and memorabilia of all sorts plastered throughout. I had been curious to try this place out because any restaurant with an X-Wing starfighter MUST be awesome.

Thinking that taking a field trip with some of my nursing cohort friends would be a good way to foster camaraderie I suggested we breakfast there. Of the 8 of us that went, probably half had been there before. Being part of the unseasoned 50% I was excited to experience the amazing atmosphere, aptly described by my brother-in-law who said "it's a freak show, I like it". The most freakish? The prices! And no, they were not fiendishly high, but freakishly low. My meal of choice was the "Bestest Breakfast", replete with 2 sausage links, two eggs, two strips of bacon (but I got the equivalent of 4-5 crispy strips), well-seasoned hash browns, and your choice of toast, french toast, or pancakes. And yes, I did choose the pancakes. This mountainous breakfast was sold for a plainish price of...wait for it...$2.99! Too good to be true? Well, they market it as a way to "beat the economy blues" and I'd say that's a very apt way to put it. This could be worth a weekly trip...

No comments: