Friday, February 17, 2012

The Mighty Quinn

At the request of my wise and sensible wife, I am suspending the half-finished, politically-charged piece I was planning to post tonight in favor of something lighter. Don't worry, the aforementioned post will be finished and published before long. For now, on to more lighthearted writ.

I was inspired this evening to reflect on the reasons I appreciate the only other male in our family unit: my little boy. While I feel a special connection with each one of my children, it's safe to say that as a father I have a unique connection with my son. He's fast and tough, but prone to getting injured from taking turns too sharply, attempting ridiculous stunts, or facing the wrong end of the occasional switchin' when he's gotten too far into trouble. He's my "dude", my "feller", the rambunctious little guy that I love so much.
It's difficult to put into words what it feels like, from a man's point of view, to have a son. You see so much of yourself in him, good and bad. You want to guide him while letting his personality and individuality develop. You want to teach him the right ways without dictating each action. It's a delicate balance of father/son, teacher/student, friend/frenemy that pulls me between wanting to be his very best friend and knowing that my duty as a father often takes precedence over how he feels about me in the moment.

I'm proud of my son for a lot of reasons. I could go on and on about his puzzle-solving skills, his early reading abilities, his infectious smile or his fun-loving spirit. I could tell you about his love of swords, football, playing superhero, or wrestling with me as much as I'll let him. Instead, I'm sharing a video that reflects his energy, showmanship, and deep appreciation of his Daddy's music collection. Without further ado...

No comments: