Monday, February 13, 2012

The Public Enemas?


Yes, that's what I said, the Public Enemas. Before you continue that thought of Johnny Depp and Christian Bale chasing each other across the 1930's gangsterland American landscape, let me point out that I said "public enemas", not "public enemies". This title is the self-chosen moniker for my 30-member nursing school cohort. I'm sure your first question is something like this: "Why would you name your class after an act involving a public rectal flush?" My answer? I. DON'T. KNOW.

The short story is that on the day of our orientation we were separated into groups to come up with suggestions for our class name. One group got especially adventurous with their names and Public Enemas got nominated. Somehow 9 votes were cast for this name, and I actually think that at least half of them didn't know what they were voting for (sorry if you did!) and the other half must have thought it would be a good laugh. Well, we now claim that name. I feel like I need to wash my hands every time I think about it.

In reality, we never call ourselves the Public Enemas except in jest. The name will probably live on as the class joke and provide endless opportunities to reference ourselves as the crew slapping on the latex gloves and grabbing the warm, soapy water...here we go! Enemas for everyone!

The name aside, I'm blessed to have a good group of people around me. Going into nursing school I was a bit apprehensive that I might not enjoy the company of my classmates. This is definitely not the case. While I've gotten to know some of the group better, I feel that I can look to anyone in our cohort for help in understanding a lesson, reviewing an assessment, or providing insight into a care plan. There's also a camaraderie that's forming; a unified march toward a common goal. I can see our group meshing more and more as we become more comfortable with each other and our various personalities, preferences, and backgrounds. And while I probably drive the group a little crazy with my constant joking commentary (I think I got Karl to the point of either wanting to gag me or gag himself to keep from laughing during lab today) I appreciate the fact that I feel as fully engaged with this group as I could have hoped. I appreciate studying with 3-8 classmates most days after class on the 4th floor library that towers 12 stories over campus. The 4th floor is our place of choice, as it offers a spacious area with group study tables and big screen monitors that we can plug our laptops into and do group test reviews online. I also appreciate the fact that we're a diverse group of post-graduate students who appreciate the value and gravity of education more now than we did the first time around.

So to my fellow Public Enemas, goodnight. And maybe, if the opportunity comes up, we could give ourselves another name. The Foley Catheters is available I hear.

No comments: