Thursday, March 20, 2008

Employment, Holy Week thoughts

Not too long ago the company I work for announced that they lost money last year. A lot of money. To the tune of $15-18million. Now we're a $450million+ company, but that's still a lot of money. So, the decision was made to make some personnel cuts and restructure the business. We've all been waiting with baited breath to see who was going and who was staying. Yesterday the bomb was dropped. Six of the remaining eighteen phone representatives were cut and sent to production or given buyouts. I lost my position as Product Trainer and as of next Wednesday will find myself on the phones again. It's a blow to my pride, but fortunately I'll keep my pay. There will be minor life changes as I adjust to a slight schedule change, but at least I have a job to tide me over until I can find something better. I know that God always opens doors and provides for us, as long as we do our best to do His will.

On to better thoughts.

Holy Week has always been a special time for me. I've been Catholic all my life, and for our family Holy Week was a time for reflection and prayer and really focusing on Christ's journey; from triumphant entrance into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday to His willing passion and death on the cross. During college some of my household's traditions focused heavily on the Triduum, so today begins a special time for me.
As I mentioned, I've been Catholic my whole life. My parents always made a point of drawing us into discussion about the faith, sharing with us Christ's teachings and allowing us to reflect on the meanings behind them. Of course, as we get older we all understand things a bit more clearly, but one thing that was always very clear in my mind was the understanding that on Holy Thursday, the Jewish Passover, Christ gave Himself up for death as the unblemished Lamb. Of course, Christianity would not be complete with His death alone, for his Resurrection on Easter seals the triumph from the cross. But Passover and his Last Supper have always been a very personal time for me, as it was at the Last Supper that Christ gave us the Eucharist, His body and blood, for all time. Not only do we have Christ present to us in this sacrament of love, but we share in His ongoing sacrifice whenever we partake in His paschal sacrifice. It's pretty amazing to see the intimate connection that Jesus makes with the tradition of sacrifice when he fulfills the old law and begins the new on Holy Thursday. I only wish that we could reconcile our differences with separated brethren and all be united in communion under the Body and Blood of Our Lord.

No comments: