Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Stubborn People

I work in customer service, so I've spoken with my fair share of irrational, stubborn people. I'm not talking about your average Joe Stubborn that will argue why he's right about basketball being superior to soccer, I'm one of those people and can admit it. No, I'm talking about the person who will call in needing help figuring out how to fix a problem they have, then turn around and tell you that your solution can't possibly be right. As if they know better than the professional they're calling what is the right way and what is the wrong way to adjust their desk drawer. It can get really annoying when, after offering countless solutions and explaining the issue from a variety of angles, the customer refuses to work with you. In an attempt to illuminate them to their own ridiculousness we say "Well, sir, what do you think is the problem?" Inevitably the response will be: "Well, you're the professional, you tell me!" That's about the point where I go from a glossy coat of stupid-dodging to a semi-transparent "you called me, so listen or go away" edge. Thank goodness for opportunities to grow in patience.

No comments: