Sunday, March 23, 2008

Jesus Christ is Risen Today...

Yes, He is risen today. Easter is definitely a beautiful holiday, and I love all the celebration and the beauty of the Triduum. But this post is not about the day itself, but about the music. Specifically, Jesus Chris is Risen Today. That has always been one of my favorite Easter songs, one that I looked forward to hearing and singing. While growing up it was always played on the organ, and that's still my preference. During my time at Steubenville I experienced the song played on guitar, but in a beautiful, reverent way that I still appreciate. This morning, however, my experience of the song was shredded into a digital, tinny mess. Rather than utilizing the beautiful pipe organ and experienced organist at our parish, the choir directer opted to use a pre-recorded keyboard version, complete with digital drums and trumpets. But, like every clavinova preset reminiscent of a Time-Life leftover special, this one sounded contrived and rushed. It was definitely not the experience I looked forward to and certainly was not a musical illustration of the grandeur befitting the risen Christ. I feel let down.

In other news, I start my new hours tomorrow. The good side of the story is that I'm carpooling with three other guys, thereby saving myself roughly $150 per month. Now that's good energy stewardship.

No comments: